Sarjapur Road - Neonatology
NICU or Neonatal Intensive Care Unit specializes in the care of ill or premature newborn infants or those newborn requiring close care and monitoring. There is a step down Special Care Baby Unit (SCBU) to take care of preterm babies, who are feeding and growing rapidly but need monitoring till they are fit for discharge.
The department of Neonatology, at Columbia Asia Hospital - Sarjapur, Bangalore has neonatologists, pediatricians, pediatric surgeons and nurses trained in newborn care round the clock. The care given to the newborn is individualised and our Neonatologists practice evidence-based medicine and follow internationally accepted protocols.
The unit is recognized by Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Karnataka, as a center for the neonatal fellowship program.
Treatments and Procedures
- Provide neonatal resuscitation at every delivery
- Evaluate and provide postnatal care to healthy newborn infants
- Immunisation services
- Care of babies born to “high risk” mothers
- Care of low birth weight babies
- Care of premature babies
- Care of sick newborn
- Babies requiring sustained respiratory support
- Care and support of newborn during transport in and out of the hospital
- Antenatal counselling when newborn problems are anticipated
- Neonatal surgery including urological and thoracic problems
- Post- operative care
- Newborn screening for hearing defects
- Newborn screening for inborn errors of metabolism
- Parents are trained in newborn care post discharge from NICU