Sarjapur Road - Critical Care Medicine
Columbia Asia Hospital – Sarjapur, Bangalore provides critical care services round the clock with a team of highly qualified, skilled and experienced intensivists and nurses. The plan of care for the patient is prepared in consensus with the admitting specialist, the patient, and the family. Periodic multi-disciplinary briefings of the patients’ family regarding the condition of the patient are done.
The Critical Care Team practices evidence based medicine and follows international protocols and quality indicators like ‘FASTHUG’ to enable good outcomes and decrease in length of stay. The ICU outcomes are monitored with tools like ‘APACHE’ scoring, SMR (Standardised Mortality Ratios) that help the department benchmark outcomes against internationally reputed ICUs. Infection control protocols to prevent healthcare associated infections (HCAI) like ventilator-associated pneumonia (VAP), catheter-related blood stream infection (CRBSI) and catheter-associated urinary tract infection (CAUTI) are followed rigorously.
The ICU provides retrieval services to patients from other hospitals that do not have similar facilities. It involves transporting critically ill patients from other healthcare facilities in a well-equipped ambulance with a team including an intensivist and an ICU nurse. The department trains young doctors to acquire the Indian Diploma of Critical Care Medicine (IDCCM) Fellowship recognized by the Indian society of critical care medicine.
- Continuous monitoring for critically ill or injured patients
- Life support measures for patients with multi-organ failure
- Post-operative care to transplant patients, critically ill, surgical patients
- Noninvasive and invasive ventilation
- Dialysis, percutaneous tracheostomies, chest drain insertions and fiberoptic bronchoscopies
- Multidisciplinary meetings for complicated patients
- Retrieval services