Sarjapur Road - Anesthesiology
The Department of Anesthesiology at Columbia Asia Hospital – Sarjapur, Bengaluru, provides anesthesia services to surgical specialties for major and minor procedures, for all ages including neonates and very elderly. Pre-anesthesia check-up prior to any surgery is mandatory in order to decide on which modality of anaesthesia is suitable for each patient. The department includes skilled and experienced anesthesiologists who are also qualified in pain medicine including labor analgesia.
Pain management is a subspecialty of anesthesiology using an interdisciplinary approach for easing the suffering and improving the quality of life of those living with pain. At Columbia Asia Hospital – Sarjapur, Bengaluru, the pain management team includes the pain consultant /anesthesiologist, primary consultant of the patient, psychiatrists, neurologists, physiotherapists and occupational therapists. Pain sometimes resolves promptly once the underlying trauma or pathology has healed, and is treated with drugs such as analgesics and (occasionally) anxiolytics. Effective management of long term pain, however, frequently requires the coordinated efforts of the management team.
- Pre –operative check up
- Post-operative recovery
- Chronic pain management
- Palliative pain control as part of end of life care
- Labour analgesia including epidural anaesthesia
Methods of pain management
- Pharmacologic measures, such as analgesics, tricyclic antidepressants, and anticonvulsants
- Interventional procedures like epidural injections, facet joint injections, blocks, intrathecal drug
- Physiotherapy and exercise, application of ice and/or heat, Transcutaneous Electric Nerve Stimulation (TENS)
- Psychological measures, such as biofeedback and cognitive behavioral therapy